Author: Edrick Thay
Indiana, Crossroads of America, is known as a place
rich in folklore, where spirits and ghosts intermingle
with the lives of ordinary Hoosiers, often with strange
and frightening consequences.
- A woman in Greene County discovers that the frightening
vision of a tombstone in her living room was a premonition
of her husband's death.
- A former Indiana University student stalks fellow
students in vivid and terrifying nightmares.
- Shrunken heads, a peculiar hidden altar and chilling
screams in the night in an Indiana University residence
lead the tenants to hold a séance.
- Blue lights, once hung on a now-demolished Indianapolis
mansion, mysteriously still glow in the night sky.
- The friendly ghost of Thomas Taggart is still making
sure things run smoothly at the French Lick Springs Grand
- The mischievous ghost of former football hero George
Gipp spooks students at University of Notre Dame's Washington
- Amelia Earhart's spirit returns to spend time at her
old haunt, Purdue University.
- An arsonist spirit sets dozens of fires in an Odon
home, driving the family to tear the whole house down.
- The specter of a riverman killed by pirates a century
ago wanders the banks of the Ohio River searching for
his missing head.
- The lantern light of a grieving father can be seen
every night on Spook Light Hill as he wanders in search
of his beloved daughter's murderer.
- Once the site of a gruesome massacre, a farmhouse
near Valparaiso now hosts ghostly hallucinations of severed
From dancing orbs to headless apparitions, numerous
friendly and frightening ghosts haunt every corner of
the Hoosier State.